Hernia is a common disease of the body. Today, India has a large population in the grip of this disease caused by unbalanced lifestyle and fast paced life. But, the mystics of yoga science have also created yoga asanas for hernia. Hernia is a problem mainly occurring in young and middle-aged people. The problem of hernia can be due to many reasons. Also there can be many types of hernias. But yoga can help in managing all types of hernia, so in this article I will tell you, what is hernia? Along with the causes, types and symptoms of hernia, we will also give information about yoga asanas to remove the problem of hernia.
If you are a fitness freak and want to know more about yoga poses, then you can join a 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh.
1. Hanumanasana / Monkey Pose
Hanumanasana is also called Hanuman Asana, Markatasana, Monkey Pose or Splits Pose. This asana is a yoga posture of extreme or expert level difficulty of Hatha and Vinyasa style. It is recommended to practice this for 30 to 60 seconds. The problem of hernia occurring in the thighs can be effectively overcome by regular practice of Hanumanasana. The muscles of the thighs become tremendously strong with the practice of Hanumanasana. Due to the strength of the muscles, the peeping meat or fat layer comes under control to a large extent. But this asana should be practiced only after consulting a doctor.
Method of doing Hanumanasana:
- Kneel down on the floor, keeping a little gap between both the knees.
- Draw the breath in.
- Step the right foot forward and keep the lower part of the foot lifted, the outer part of the heel touching the floor.
- While exhaling, tilt the torso forward.
- After this touch the floor with the tip of the fingers.
- Now, move the left knee backwards, the front part of the foot and the knee should not touch the floor.
- Still keeping the right foot pulled forward, note that the ankle will remain on the top.
- Keep the left foot pulled backwards, the ankle of the left foot will also keep touching the floor.
- Raise both the hands above the head.
- Greeting with palms above the head.
- Now pull both the hands upwards.
- Now slowly bend your back as per convenience, stay in this position for a minute.
- To come out of the posture, shift the weight of the body on the hands.
- Press the hands firmly on the floor towards the floor and slowly bring both the legs back to the old position.
- Now do this asana keeping your left leg forward.
2. Pawanmuktasana Yoga / Wind Relieving Pose
Pawanmuktasana helps in expelling unnecessary gas from the digestive tract of the stomach. That’s why it is called Wind Releasing Pose in English. Pawanmuktasana is an excellent asana, which is considered very important for good digestion. Pawanmuktasana helps to tone the abdominal and waist muscles. Patients suffering from problems of poor digestion or hernia are usually advised to do Pawanmuktasana. There is some difficulty in doing this asana in the beginning, but with regular practice, Pawanmuktasana can be done very easily. This yoga asana can effectively remove the problem of hernia.
Method of doing Pawanmuktasana Yoga:
- Lie down on the yoga mat in Shavasana on your stomach.
- Bend the left knee and bring it near the stomach.
- While exhaling, hold the fingers of both the hands together.
- Keep the fingers under the knees.
- Now try to touch the chest with the left knee.
- Raise the head off the ground and try to touch the knee with the nose.
- After touching the nose with the knees, stay in this posture for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Slowly exhale and return to normal.
- Now do the same process with the right foot.
- Repeat this pose 3 to 5 times in one yoga session.
3. Halasana Yoga/ Plough Pose
Halasana is also called Halasana and Plow Pose in the English language. It is recommended to practice Halasana for 30 to 60 seconds. There is no repetition in this.
Halasana is the posture of hatha yoga. This asana is considered to be of simple difficulty, the duration of doing it has been told from 30 to 60 seconds. After doing this, there is no need to do any kind of repetition. The shoulders and ribs get a good stretch by the practice of Halasana. While it can help strengthen the spine and neck. Regular practice of Halasana gives special benefit in the problem of abdominal hernia. When the ground is touched behind with the feet in Halasana, there is a special pressure on the stomach. Due to this pressure, the abdominal muscles become strong and flexible. Due to which the internal organs are not visible from outside.
Method of doing Halasana Yoga:
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat, with your hands by your side and palms facing the ground.
- While inhaling, lift the legs upwards.
- The legs will make a 90 degree angle with the waist, the pressure will be on the abdominal muscles.
- Support the waist with your hands while raising the legs, bend the straight legs towards the head and take the legs behind the head.
- Touch the ground with your toes.
- Remove the hands from the waist and keep them straight on the ground. The palm will be facing down.
- The waist will remain parallel to the ground and remain in this position for a minute.
- Concentrate on the breath, while exhaling, bring the legs back to the ground.
- Do not rush while leaving the posture, bring the legs back to the normal position at a uniform speed.
Hernia Prevention Measures :
- Avoid heavy meals
- Spicy, oily and fried foods should be avoided.
- Body weight should be maintained under control.
- Avoid lifting very heavy weights.
- Food habits should be natural and often vegetarian.